And, to do these projects, they wanted her to transform their extra closets. Here’s our guide on the best paint colors under fluorescent lighting. There should be no stones unturned while renovating your new Cloffice. Well, for a place like your closet, it’s hard not to feel cramped.
- Do you need room for a desktop computer or just a laptop?
- You might consider closed storage if you have a lot of stuff — just hide it behind cabinet doors.
- As for the height, it depends on how tall you actually are.
- If you don’t have the tools to make pocket holes, you can nail the trim in place through the front with finishing nails, you’ll just have to fill nail holes.
In fact, they’ve got a reputation for being downright chaotic. But if you’re tired of working in a home office that looks more like a natural disaster than a spot to get focused work done, you’re in the right place. We’re sharing the best products and advice we’ve found to help you organize your home closet to office conversion office for good…. Then, she gutted and reframed the closet to expand the opening and give herself a little more work space. “Definitely keep in mind you might need to add an electrical outlet,” she says. It’s particularly important if you want to be able to plug in a computer or other device.
How To Organize The Closet Office
You get space back in your bedroom and can keep your desk out of sight when you’re not working. Over time, it’s easy to let storage items stack up around your desk. (Your brain still thinks the word “closet,” after all!) Plus, you lose valuable storage space for your other, non-work stuff. All the cramming in the world won’t make the closet magically store both your clothes and your office in the same square feet.
“From there, we lucked out and found the IKEA Kallax bookshelf was the perfect fit as a bench,” she adds. Wood elements like a floating shelf and a bench topper completed the project. If you suddenly have multiple family members working or studying from home, office space may be limited. Converting a closet will give you more usable workspace. One person can work at the kitchen table, another can work in a permanent office and another can work at the closet office.
Portable Desk Air Purifier
If your child needs help with their homework, use some chalk to work out the problem. Pretty design elements paired with smart storage solutions make this small nook feel like a full-fledged room. So, before you can get started on your closet into office transformation, you need to think about what kind of office you plan on ending up with. Adding an accent to the back wall of a closet creates an interesting focal point that can help it not look like a closet. You could use vinyl wallpaper, an accent wall paint with painted stencil, wood shiplap, or even a thin peel-and-stick wood veneer.
- If there’s not, then hopefully there’s an outlet nearby you can plug your equipment into.
- Keeping everything in perfect order might be challenging with open shelves.
- This is a cheap and easy way to build sturdy wall shelves and save on material.
- You’ll need to assess whether you can reuse some of it.
While you may be comfortable showing off your wardrobe, it doesn’t come across professionally to clients. If you need a way to hide your “closet” items while you’re on calls, consider a backdrop. These ideas (both from our research and from our survey of remote workers) will help you plan your closet-to-office renovation no matter what size your closet is.
Don’t Let People See Your Clothes
The shelf support would go in the center, side, and front. Discover the best IKEA desk hacks, insights, and stories from creators and makers who used ALEX drawers in their workspaces. It would also help you feel positive towards your cloffice in the long run as it’s where you express yourself. As there’s more place for light to pass through, the cloffice also appears brighter with that approach.
- Now, let’s talk about those of you dealing with really small or weirdly-shaped spaces.
- Well, you don’t have to sacrifice that in this new Cloffice.
- Measure the space and decide what size desk you want to fit into it.
- However, if it’s a walk-in closet with ample space, you don’t need to remove the door at all.
- Whatever clothes and accessories you have left, make sure they are gone before you remodel them.
That doesn’t mean your project will take any less planning and design though. You may prefer a certain design style, and you still have to find and install the storage options that meet your needs. If you have a lot of physical files or recordings, samples, equipment, or supplies, you may need highly customized drawers and shelving. If you have a lot of electronic equipment, you’ll have cords, cables and boxes to deal with. Whatever the case, you’ll most likely have room for it in a walk-in closet office—just plan carefully to ensure everything fits nicely and comfortably in your space. Another way to maximize storage space in a closet office is to utilize hidden storage solutions.